First impressions create lasting memories, whether positive or negative. It only takes seconds for someone to decide if they like you or not and, on the telephone, these decisions are made simply by what they hear. A pleasant greeting and a positive attitude will set the stage for each call and by speaking positively, professionally and warmly, you create a positive image for the entire organisation. It can be the make or break of a business!
How to get it right:
- Answer all calls with a warm, sincere greeting.
- Be pleasant and interesting.
- Manage expectations and sincerely apologise if expectations are unmet.
- Listen without interrupting.
- Respond with appropriate emotion (show enthusiasm or empathy).
- Be polite and kind.
- Appreciate that a person’s time and respect it valuable.
- Always make the other person feel important.
- Avoid being condescending, even if you are asked silly questions.
- Take time with everyone and don’t rush to finish the call. You want to encourage them to call again!
Remember, people do not remember what you do, they remember how you made them feel!